July 1, 2017
Dear West Lake Middle School Families:
Welcome back for another rewarding and productive school year at West Lake Middle School. Last year our vision focused on Moving ALL Wildcats Forward, Onward, and Upward to Ensure Success. This school year we will continue with our vision but dig deeper by Moving ALL Wildcats into the Fast Lane to Ensure their overall academic, social, and emotional growth. Our goals this school year are to not only maintain high standards but to go above and beyond them, including meeting the high growth standard, having all subgroups demonstrate significant growth, and showing gains in all subject areas’ proficiency scores. As a school community, we will exhaust every effort to ensure all students are successful.
Our administrative team this year will include myself and three Assistant Principals: Mrs. Monica Yllanes, Mr. Steve Kibler and we are in the process of interviewing to recommend a third Assistant Principal. We will work closely with the students on their grade level to ensure relationships and success remain at the forefront. Each administrator will work collaboratively with a grade level counselor: Ms. Melissa Psaltis in 6th grade; Mr. Steven Evans in 7th grade and Ms. Kelly Mueller in 8th grade. A roster of our 2017-2018 staff members can be found on our website. We all share the same goal to partner with you to ensure the best educational experience for your child. Together, our entire team will strive to bring engaging and rigorous work to our students through building Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity, and Communication.
This year’s master schedule can also be found on our website. Each student will attend 4 core classes, PE/Health, one elective and a SMART Block. To every extent possible, please avoid doctor or other appointments during SMART Block (8:35-9:10) so that your child can make choices to develop their 21st century learning skills and take advantage of these daily, additional enrichment, re-teaching and intervention learning opportunities. All students will begin each school day in a core class so arriving to school on time is imperative.
At West Lake Middle we are continuing with our PRIDE expectations and promoting positive behavior intervention support. The staff aligns their practices to our PRIDE matrix which lists expected student behaviors throughout our school Perseverance + Respect + Integrity + Dedication= Excellence in all we do at West Lake Middle School.
Weekly messages will be emailed to all families. These will also be posted on the school’s website to keep you abreast of the activities and programs at WLMS. School begins for Tracks 1, 2 and 3 on Monday, July 10, 2017, and on Monday, July 31, 2017, for Track 4. All students should be in attendance the first day of the school year to ensure a smooth start as teachers will be explaining the expectations for students that day. It is also important that they are counted as attending the school in which they are enrolled. Our instructional school day is from 7:40 A.M.-2:25 P.M. with students able to enter the building at 7:10 A.M. Each morning we begin the day with announcements at 7:35 A.M. so it is best if students are in their classrooms and seated ready to begin the day at that time. Please remember that attendance in school is of the utmost importance in order for students to learn and access their education. Students miss valuable instruction when they come to school late, leave early, or are absent.
Walk through will be held on Thursday, July 6, 2017, from 4:00-6:00 for 7th and 8th graders on Tracks 1, 2 and 3. 6th graders and their parents are asked to attend PRIDE Camp on Friday, July 7, 2017 from 1:00-3:00. The Walk through for 7th and 8th graders on Track 4 will be held on Thursday, July 27, 2017 from 3:30-5:00 PM. PRIDE Camp for Track 4 rising 6th graders and their parents will be Friday, July 28, 2017, from 3:00-5:00 PM. This is the only time schedules will be available before school starts. If parents or students are unable to attend, students will receive their schedule on the first day of class. Student schedules will not be given to anyone other than the student or the parent of the student. Please know that we will help your child find his/her classes on the first day of school.
The following will be available on July 7th and July 28th.
- West Lake Middle School PTSA will have the West Lake Agenda, locks, spirit wear items and memberships for purchase at their “One Stop-Shop”. All students are required to have a West Lake Middle School Agenda (which also serves as a pass for the hallway and SMART Block) and 2 locks (one for the hall locker and the other for the PE locker). You may purchase locks in 6th grade and use them for all three years. Only locks purchased at WLMS may be used on hall lockers. If writing a check for any of the above items, it should be made payable to West Lake Middle School PTSA. Volunteers will be available at the Walk through/PRIDE Camp for you to purchase a PTSA membership, learn about the committees and activities for the school year, and ways you can become involved in supporting the school.
- WCPSS Transportation will be available to answer transportation questions during the Walk- through and bus routes will be posted on the West Lake Middle School website. Regardless of personal, social or recreational activities, students may not ride any bus other than that to which he/she has been assigned. Without written approval by the regional transportation office, as the school cannot approve these requests.
- Cafeteria staff will be available to answer any questions about breakfast or lunch menus at the Walk through. The full price for breakfast is $1.50 and the reduced price is free. The full price for lunch is $2.50 and the reduced price is $.40. Milk is $.50. You may prepay for meals by bringing a check to our cafeteria manager, made payable to West Lake Middle Cafeteria or go to www.mylunchmoney.com to enroll and start using the site to deposit funds into your child’s lunch account. You may apply for free or reduced meals. The application will be mailed home and must be completely filled out to be processed. Every school year the application needs to be completed as every child’s status ends on June 30th each year. Return the completed application to the school office.
- Office staff will be in the office to assist you with medication paperwork and any other questions. Medication may be given at school only with the proper documentation from the doctor.
- Parent involvement is essential in creating a successful school experience. Each year, all volunteers must register through the WCPSS Volunteer System, this includes a criminal record check. New and previously registered volunteers must register online in the media center during the Walk through and at Open House.
- Carpool rules and regulations are available in the Student/Parent Handbook and on our website. We have a large volume of carpool students and walkers. The carpool pattern works well when all follow the procedures. Please drive carefully when approaching the school area and pull all the way forward in the loop. Students who walk home at the end of the day will need to follow the procedures for obtaining a walker pass and are required to leave campus as soon as the bell rings.
The Open House date for Tracks 1, 2, and 3 is July 27, 2017, at 6:00 PM. Track 4’s Open House is August 16, 2017, at 6:00 PM. Open House will provide parents the opportunity to meet their student’s teachers, sign up for access to Home Base, and learn about our schedule, academic and behavioral expectations. The Home Base Parent Account is an online portal where parents can check their child’s schedule, grades and attendance. If you do not already have an account, you will need a picture ID to sign up for the Home Base Parent Account that evening.
We encourage you to check the West Lake Middle School website (http://westlakems.wcpss.net/) each day for valuable school information including calendar information, student supply lists, Tweets, morning/weekly announcements and updates about events at our school. Please check the Wake County Public school website (http://www.wcpss.net) for important district information. If you have not already done so, sign up to follow us on Twitter (@WLMS_Wildcats).
We hope your student will become involved in the whole middle school experience by trying out for one of the West Lake Middle sports team and/or join one of the many clubs sponsored by our staff. If you would like more information about these programs, you can check our school website or the flyer that will be sent home at the beginning of the school year.
We are eager to partner with you to make this a successful school year at WLMS. Together, we will show Wildcat PRIDE in all that we do as a school community!
Anne Marie Adkins, Principal