Book Fair is in it’s last week from Dec 4-8. We are still looking for parent volunteers to come and help students find books, restock as and run the registers.
If you have a minute, please sign up here: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C044BA5A82FA20-wlms
To All WLMS families –
There are many changes in store for WCPSS for the 2018-2019 school year. (No dramatic changes to the WLMS assignment plan.) To see all the changes being made across the county, please check out the 2018-2019 Enrollment Plan here: http://www.wcpss.net/Page/30658
As of today, the WCPSS School Board is on the 3rd and final draft which will be voted into place in early December.
Due to the K-3 Class Size Mandate, the county’s policy on grandfathering will also change next year. This is the 2nd draft proposal. You can read the proposed details here: http://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654
- Students rising to grades 5 and 8 who are affected by this proposal are eligible to grandfather at their current school. Their siblings will be eligible to grandfather for one year.
- After one year, siblings will be assigned back to their new base school.
- Grandfather requests can be made through the Request for Transfer application period, Feb. 20-March 6.
- Grandfathered students are considered “transfer students” and, as such, do not receive district transportation.
- The changes are being proposed because to prevent school crowding and to meet state-mandated class-size reduction for grades K-3.
Dr. Martin and the Wake PTA Council are encouraging all parents to submit their personal experiences with the changes their families have already faced at their elementary school to their NC State legislature member via email, face to face contact or snail mail letters. Wake PTA Council has prepared an advocacy statement that presents unified talking points to address your concerns to your NC State Legislator – you can find it here: http://www.wakepta.org/uploads/1/2/6/6/12665306/k-3_class_size_mandate.pdf Please keep your comments to your legislator constructive – is this what we want for our community? Is this what you would want for your child? The more you can personalize your statement, the better it is heard by your legislator. Please submit your statements to your legislator by December, 2017.
If you are interested in attending the next Board Advisory Council meeting, you are officially invited! It will be held at Athens Drive High School on December 4th at 9:00am